TERMS OF SERVICE
Dear Valued Customer,
Our technicians fix computers everyday and as such, we are very aware of the realities of computer repair. Zumtek Inc. fixes computers for both business users and home users and this short document is made to inform you, as a Home/Business User, of the realities of computer repair so that our technicians can provide you with the best possible service. Please read these few pages carefully and don’t hesitate to ask your technician if you are unsure about anything.
A Home User is a person who uses their computer at home for personal use. This means that you do not have any work or business related files on your computer. If you do have one or two work or business related files on your computer, we may still be happy to fix it for you, but you acknowledge that we do not take any responsibility for any consequential loss which may arise out of damage or destruction of those files which may occur, despite our best efforts.
A Business User is a person who uses their computer for business use whether it’s at home or in an office. This means that you have work or business related files on your computer. While we always try our hardest to avoid it, Zumtek Inc. does not take any responsibility for any consequential loss which may arise out of damage or destruction of those files which may occur, despite our best efforts.
Computers are complicated machines and as with anything complicated, things can always go wrong. No matter how much care our technicians take when they are fixing your computer, there is always a chance that something unexpected can happen resulting in the loss of information (data) or damage to hardware. This is especially true if your computer is in a precarious state to begin with.
As such our technicians follow a routine to ensure as far as possible that:
- You do not have any valuable data and,
- You areaware of the choices available to you if there is a chance you will lose the data contained on your computer.
Essentially, there are two types of problems with computers:
- Those that originate as a result of faulty hardware; and
- Those that originate as a result of a software problem.
Problems originating from faults within the physical structure of a computer are usually more serious than those created by software errors. If something has gone wrong with your computer’s hardware, then the defective part will most likely need to be replaced. If the defective part (such as a hard drive, CD or Floppy Disk) contains data, then there is a high probability that this data has been lost and cannot be recovered. In certain cases, where it may be possible to resurrect your data, and you would like us to try and save it, we may need to take your computer back to our base in order to try and retrieve it. Please remember that because hardware faults (especially hard drive faults) are potentially the most dangerous to your data, our technicians make no guarantee that they will be able to recover your lost data.
If your problem has arisen as a result of software errors, our technicians always recommend that you perform a backup of all your important data before any fix is attempted. As with hardware, in some cases it is possible that data has been corrupted to the extent that it has been lost. Software errors are usually only a concern for our technicians if important system data such as files that the operating system uses in order to operate has been affected. To use the analogy of a boat, if the hull is seriously damaged then it may need to be rebuilt, or if there is only a small leak then it can be repaired. Some cases require a fresh start (an event called a “format”) in order for us to leave you with a stable and working computer.
If a format is required, then our technicians will need you to supply them with the installation disks for your operating system (Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista etc.) along with its product key. In addition, if there is any other software or devices that you would like our technicians to install in the event of a format, then you will need to provide us with the appropriate installation and product registration keys. Zumtek Inc. can only use original purchased software and / or registration keys.
- I understand the information provided above and I am aware of the potential loss of data or damage to hardware or software that may occur as a result of my computer being repaired.
- I acknowledge and agree that Zumtek Inc. rely on information I have provided them in repairing my computer. I acknowledge that Zumtek Inc. will accept no liability for any loss or damage to my computer (including hardware or software) which arises out of incorrect or incomplete information provided by me.
- I acknowledge and agree that Zumtek Inc. will perform the computer repair services with due care and skill, but further acknowledge that the liability of Zumtek Inc. for any loss or damage to my computer (including hardware and software), however caused, is limited to supplying the service again.